Tuesday 7 June 2011

Welcome to Brickthus!

Welcome to Brickthus, a new blog combining my interests in Christian faith and LEGO modelling!

As we begin, a bit about the name.
  • Many sites in the LEGO fan community use "Brick" in their name because the LEGO company is quite particular about how its name is used - it must not be used as part of another name, as stated in the Fair Play policy.  Although "brick" is generic to a type of construction toy, brand loyalty is important because IMHO no other brand is a serious rival in the combination of quality, durability and functionality to the LEGO range of core products.
  • Ichthus is the Greek acronym used by early Christians.  It stands for "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour".  You may have seen a fish symbol on a car.  Note that this does not guarantee good driving because Christians make mistakes just like everyone else!  The difference is that, apart from any consequences of a mistake (such as a costly and time-consuming insurance claim), Christians find forgiveness from God for their mistakes and help from God to learn from them and improve.  This also helps them to forgive themselves and the other people involved, which brings greater healing than time alone.
So the contraction of "Brick" and "Ichthus" was quite natural!

I will share about matters of both faith and LEGO building on an occasional basis to begin with.  I hope readers may find encouragement to put their respective "dark ages" behind them!  Don't be surprised if I get technical on either of these topics - I'm an engineer by trade so it comes naturally, but please feel free to ask questions to find out more.  You will have guessed by now that I can ramble too!

I wish to be radically honest but not insulting.  If something has set a poor example of hypocrisy in faith, or a LEGO product is not up to scratch, I expect to say so in a forthright way but without swearing.  Please let your comments follow suit.  I would also like to encourage the right things.

In due course I will probably add some links to other sites that I visit.  In the meantime, have a look at my LEGO model pictures on Brickshelf.

I hope you enjoy reading and commenting here.

Mark Bellis

No comments:

Post a Comment